After a 9-hour flight to Frankfurt, 3 hours to Istanbul, 7 hours to Entebbe, we were finally able to step onto Ugandan soil (or landing strip...as the case was). I can not believe that we are actually here! For over a year, this whole "adoption thing" has been an idea, a hope, a distant event...and now it's happening. It's here. We are physically in Uganda - surrounded by red dirt, tropical trees, and all the glory of Africa - and very soon we will meet the two, small African children who will become our children.
The trip over was smooth, and I'm thankful for that. The flights were fine, the layovers short, and the food was pretty good (side note: if you ever get to fly Turkish Air, their food is amazing! And I mean amazing - not just in terms of airplane food, but also food in general). On one of our flights, I met a family who is also coming to adopt children from Uganda! As it turns out, we will be staying at the same guest house, and it appears that their children live at the same home as our son. Small world - I'm looking forward to getting to know them better over the next few weeks and having other kids for Ibra and Sumaya to play with. We are currently staying with our friends, the Livingston family.
Although we were able to sleep quite a bit on the flights, we were pretty zonked this morning. This afternoon did a lot to help us adjust to the time change. Andrew spent time with Bob and Blake, and he is now making calls to our attorney and to the kids' homes to prepare for tomorrow. I went out with Suzy for coffee and some grocery shopping. It's fun to see the city, and I was surprised to discover that there is actually quite a large expat community here. The coffee shop that we went to has a very Western feel to it, and I was glad to see where we can get groceries after we settle in to the guest house.
Tomorrow, we expect to meet both of our kiddos! We are waiting for more details, but right now it looks like we will meet Sumaya tomorrow morning and meet Ibra in the afternoon. We'd expected it to be the other way around, but I'm glad that we'll have the time with each of them individually before introducing them to each other. Ibra should be able to come stay with us beginning tomorrow, and we'll also check in to our guest house then. Please pray for us as we go to meet them - that the Lord will prepare all of our hearts and join our family together. We are so excited for tomorrow to come!
So happy to hear that you guys got there! We love Uganda....and I personally remember that red soil and the Entebbe airport and city.
ReplyDeleteHey Andrew…I’m not sure if you will get this message, but I will send it anyway.
Melanie and I would like to celebrate your arrival home and want to make sure you guys are taken care of with some meals when you come home. We know how tiring this trip will be and how much energy will be required with the extra adjustments at home with two kids.
Do you two have a group of people that are planning a homecoming and some food support?
Do you have a point person that would have a key to home where we could put food in your fridge?
If you are open to our support…would you please send me your return flight info back into Houston? Last question…will you have already gone through customs in some USA city or will you do that in Houston?
Feel free to email me at mpylant@whatisgrace.org
Blessings to you and Shayna!
Morgan
We are praying for you!
ReplyDeleteHey Andrew and Shayna!
ReplyDeletePraise God!
Morgan passed this great news on to us. We love Uganda and are so blessed that two of Uganda's precious children are going to such a loving home with 2 wonderful parents! Rob's actually there right now!
Thank you Jesus!
Praying for favor with your court appointment.
Blessings,
Cathy and Rob Marshall