Monday, April 2, 2012

spring cleaning

I was cleaning out one of our art cubbies (that sounds fancier than it is...which is mainly paper and crayons!), and I came across a piece of paper that we LIVED by while we were in Uganda.



Our friend Scott, who adopted a little girl from Ibra's home, was genius enough to write these Lugandan phrases down and kind enough to share them with us.

They worked like a charm those first few weeks that we were together. Whether we were out getting groceries or trying to get screaming children to sleep - just choose one of these magic words, and poof! There you go.

A few things have changed since then and now - mainly that the magic words stopped working! When I said them to the kids just now, they looked at me like I was crazy. "What you saying, Mommy?" Suma asked, "Brush your hair? Go to sleep?"

So I have a hypothesis. Either their Lugandan is slipping - which is possible - OR we weren't quite saying what we thought we were saying - and the magic in Uganda can be attributed to the fact that our kids were really confused. :)

1 comment: