Monday, January 23, 2012

chicken

Ibra: Mommy, where does this chicken come from?
Me: The store.
Ibra: *Thoughtful look* You get it at the store and bring it to the home?
Me: Yes, sir. You were there when we got it last week.
Ibra: The chicken is big like this? (makes motion with his hands) You take chicken under your arm, and squish it like this?

This is how you squish a chicken under your arm to carry it home...or kill it, I don't know


Me: No...the chicken is in the freezer.
Ibra: Let me see.

So I take out the bag and show him. He was rather incredulous at first, but after a few minutes of comparing how we get chicken in Uganda with how we get it in America, he came to terms with it.



And that, my friends, is a cultural diversity moment.

3 comments:

  1. i missed noticing your last post. i think the pillowcase sleep sacks and super hero capes are really cool. love this post about chickens. I think chickens bring out beautiful smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! Love hearing about these stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute. And those smiles, oh my gosh, such beautiful smiles!! But yeah, when my great grandmother wanted chicken, she'd go out into the yard and kill one. I much prefer the grocery store method.

    ReplyDelete