Sunday, December 4, 2011

sunday school

Also known as "Sundee schoo'", if you happen to be from a small, podunk Texas town. (Or so I hear.)

Successful Sunday! After two weeks of keeping the kiddos with us at church, we thought we would go out on a limb and take them to Sunday school. With kids their own age. All by themselves.

I admit, I was not terribly comfortable with it. What if they thought we weren't coming back? What if they threw a fit? The powers that be won't let me stay in the room with the kids without a recent background check (like we've not had enough of those during the adoption process). I respect that, though I hated to be more than calling distance away from either of the kids. It was our first day back with our class as well, and I'm sure that I looked more like I swallowed a lemon than like I was thrilled to be back. In the back of my mind, I kept waiting for one of the nursery workers to text us with some message about how one or both of our kids was melting down.

But you know what? The meltdown call never came. Both kids did great. I mean, really great! When we went to get them, we found two happy kids who are ready to go back next week! Ibra made a bracelet with a jingle bell on it and got to play with other boys his age; Suma had taken her shoes off and was happily eating a graham cracker.

And what makes me happier is that they also did well in the service. Andrew and I decided a long time ago that we wanted our kids to sit with us during "big church". We go to a church where they have great programs for the kids during this time, and I think that the kids who go enjoy it and get a lot out of it. For our family, however, we feel that our kids should sit with us during this time. It is so important to us that we worship the Lord our God as a family. Yes, the message is over their heads right now, but there is so much more to it. For them them to see that the church is made up of more than children their age, that it includes men and women of all races and backgrounds and ages - that's a big deal. We pray that they will love the church and serve the Lord by serving His Bride and making disciples. For them to observe baptisms and offerings and communion, to see their parents pray and worship the Lord, to take part in the prayer and worship times themselves - that's a big deal. We pray, more than anything, that they will love the Lord Jesus and walk with Him all of their lives. So, even though they can't yet understand everything that happens in "big church", I pray that the Lord will begin to stir their little hearts an draw them to Himself as they observe His church in action.

Thank you, Lord, for their happy hearts in Your house today!

1 comment:

  1. So fun! I'm glad you all are doing so amazingly well!!!

    ReplyDelete