Going to the grocery store with two little children is a totally new ball game. A few reasons why:
1) Social time
It used to be that I walked into the grocery store, slipped silently through the crowds to collect what I needed, said a cordial "Hi, how's your day; I'd like the receipt in the bag please," and was home in 45 minutes or less. Now, with two kiddos in the basket in front of me, it has become a social event! Not only do the kids and I talk about everything we see (and smell and taste), but we also meet little grandma ladies, stay-at-home moms, children in other carts and every single worker in the store. It takes a little longer to navigate the aisles, but it's a fun change.
We have been included in conversations around why the fresh-squeezed orange juice is so good ("and can you read the expiration date on this bottle for me, dear?"), how a family has been living in a hotel since their house burned down, and whether...something about football players being free agents and going to other teams. (Or maybe that was basketball, I don't know these sports things....)
2) Attention
Given that we now have 2 children, we attract a lot more attention than we used to. And with two kids who secretly like being the center of attention, you better believe it - we get a lot of attention! Take, for example, Monday's outing to the grocery store. Ibra was especially excited that we got homemade tortillas ("chapati" to the kids) from HEB, and dedicated the next 20 minutes to singing:
Baby Chapati, Baby Chapati
I love you, I love you
You are my Chapati, You are my Chapati
I love you! I love you!
(to the tune of Frere Jaques)
He wrapped up the final chords of the song about the time we entered the cheese section and was delighted to hear at least 7 ladies around us cry, "Bravo!" and give him a standing ovation. Yes sir, that's all the encouragement he needed to continue his song for the rest of the trip. :)
3) Acts of service
Admittedly, the refridgerated section of the store is pretty cold if you're only 2 years old. Suma started shivering once we got near, and Ibra - gentleman that he is - offered her his jacket to wear. She graciously accepted. I love it!
Wow! What sweet boy you have there!
ReplyDelete