Wednesday, August 22, 2012

earthworks

I was reading an article yesterday when I was interrupted by the sound of chopping coming from the backyard.

"Look, Mommy!" Ibra gleefully shouted, "I am cutting the grass for you! We are making a house - for me and Suma - and I am doing it!"

Something about the way he was wielding his wiffle-bat, combined with the chopping noise from a moment ago, raised a small flag....so I went to investigate.

Here's what I found:



Ibra: See how I cut the grass for you? I cut it good!
Me: Um. Yes. If you were in Uganda and were helping to cut the grass, I'd say you did a great job. But at our house in America, we should probably not use the bat to cut grass anymore.
Ibra: Why?
Me: Well, it's a little short...and you know, Daddy's job is to cut the grass for us. With the lawn mower. Remember like Uncle Charles used the tractor to cut grass? Like that, only smaller (*as you can tell, the lack of rain - and therefore, lack of grass growth - has made us forget a few things), and he pushes it.
Ibra: Ohhh, ok.... well, I guess we should just build the house this way then!



No comments:

Post a Comment