Friday, August 6, 2010

blogging is to adoption as mordecai is to persia

Thus I begin my blogging career. It is fitting that it begins today - the day we had our first home study for adoption. Whenever a family begins the adoption process there is an unwritten rule that they must also begin blogging. I don't know for sure who officially gave this edict for the first time but I have heard it be traced all the way back to the time of Esther.

See, when Mordecai "adopted" his cousin, Hadassah, he must have known that she would grow up to be somebody. It probably irked him to realize that with the constraints of Persian technology, Susa was not up and running with full WiFi yet (Czarbucks hadn't opened up their signal at this time). Not only was ol' Mordy (for that's what I think I will call him) without a consistent 4G network but Google  itself hadn't even yet come "for such a time as this."

But ol' Mordy was a persistent man. He wouldn't let the limitations of his society prevent him from documenting his adopted daughter's life. And so he worked diligently to make sure that Esther's name did not pass from history into the unknown. First, he uncovered an assassination plot so he could get his name down in the Blogspot of that day - the chronicles of the king. And then he found an  infamous enemy whom he could use to make his daughter famous. So famous, indeed, that she would be written about in the Good Book itself, the most sacred and everlasting blog of all time.

It worked out well for him. Not only was his daughter's name perpetuated to this day, but here I am even talking about ol' Mordy himself. And so I begin my blogging debut with a special tribute to the man who exemplified the undeniable connection between blogging and adoption.

Here's to you, Mordy...

1 comment:

  1. yay for blogging! it was so good to see you guys this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete